Solutions And Strength For Divorce
Getting divorced involves a series of problems to solve and decisions to make. The Goodbody Law Firm can help you tackle those problems head-on so that you go into divorce proceedings with priorities and a plan. It is not about “winning” so much as it is having a voice in a fair and favorable outcome that reflects your goals.
Attorney Maeve Goodbody helps people navigate the divorce process and emerge from it ready to move forward. You can count on her for straight advice, sound strategies and compassionate support during this difficult time. She is also the skilled trial lawyer you want on your side if your divorce ends up in court.
What To Expect When Your Divorce Begins
Whether you are initiating a divorce or you have been served with papers, we help you take proactive steps to protect your interests. Our attorney can address every facet of the divorce process and related family law matters, including:
- Legal separations: If you are living apart but not ready to divorce, it is prudent to formally separate your finances.
- Uncontested divorce: If you agree on all matters of dissolution, we can help you draw up the settlement agreement and present it to the court.
- Temporary orders: While your divorce case is pending, the court will issue interim orders for parenting time, child support and spousal support. We are proactive in these proceedings.
- Allocation of parenting responsibilities: We will strongly assert your parental interests in the determination of custody and parenting plans.
- Asset division: Colorado law calls for an equitable distribution of the assets and debts you accumulated during the marriage. We can address complicating factors such as valuation of businesses, hidden assets, separate property and commingled assets. Ms. Goodbody is a skilled negotiator who can suggest sensible tradeoffs to balance out the equation, such as who gets the house and how to divide the retirement portfolio.
- Spousal maintenance (alimony): Maintenance depends greatly on the length of the marriage, as well as one spouse’s ability to support and the other’s need for support. The court may award short-term spousal support to help a spouse get financially established. Long-term maintenance may be awarded if a spouse cannot earn a living due to age, job skills or health issues. We can gauge whether support is likely in your divorce and use it as a negotiating tool.
Is Your Lawyer Prepared To Litigate?
Ms. Goodbody has extensive experience representing divorce clients in court hearings. Litigation should be a last resort because of the expense, acrimony and uncertainty. That said, having an experienced trial lawyer at the negotiating table gives you leverage in or out of court. We have litigated property division, spousal support, custody disputes and other facets of divorce. We always prepare for the possibility of contested proceedings to put you in the best position to achieve your divorce goals.
Explore Your Options During Your Consultation
The Goodbody Law Firm invites you to join us for an initial consultation to discuss your unique situation and how we can make a positive difference in the result. Call our Grand Junction law office at 970-609-9430 or reach us by email. We serve Mesa County and the entire Western Slope.